The privacy of your personal information is afforded the highest level of importance by Teachers On Net (Australia) Pty Ltd (ACN 098 005 988) (Company).
The Company complies with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) prescribed by the Act in respect of the manner in which we handle your personal information. We will strictly comply with all relevant legislative requirements, and the requirements of the Act will prevail in the event of an inconsistency with the terms of this document.
We may from time to time collect non-personal information regarding visits to our website located at www.teachers.on.net (Site), including, without limitation, which sections of the Site are most frequently visited, how often, and for how long. This data is always used as aggregated, non-personal information, and may be shared with our partners and prospective advertisers to provide them with information relating to how visitors 'use' the Site. This is done for the purpose of providing you with the best and most efficient services.
What kinds of personal information do we collect?
The purpose of the Site is to help job seekers and job advertisers connect, and to provide other related services.
The kinds of personal information that we may collect and hold from time to time in the course of our business includes:
- for job seekers and job advertisers, your contact information, including postal addresses, telephone and facsimile numbers, and email addresses;
- for job seekers, your residential address and date of birth, and information about your education, skills, experience, memberships, affiliations, activities and interests if you choose to provide it;
- for job advertisers, invoicing and payment details;
- data relating to your activity on our websites via tracking technologies such as cookies; and
- for applicants applying for a job with the Company or Company staff, employment history, educational qualifications, reference checks, payroll information and medical information (where relevant).
How do we collect and hold personal information?
We will only collect personal information where it is reasonably necessary to do so for the conduct of our business. Any collection of personal information by us will be fair and lawful and will not be intrusive.
We will collect personal information about you in a variety of ways, including the following:
- if you establish an account as required to use particular features of our Site;
- if you provide your information by telephone, post, email or facsimile, or in person;
- if you otherwise contact us via email or submit your information through the Site;
- for job advertisers, if you submit it as part of an advertisement you wish to post on the Site; and/or
- if you otherwise require us to provide services to you.
We may automatically collect information about how you use our Site, the areas of our Site that you visit, as well as information about your computer or mobile device including your IP address, device ID, physical location, browser and operating system type, and referring URLs, via cookies and other tracking technologies. We may also collect information about you through analysing your actions with electronic communications we send to you from time to time, including your opening of such communications and clicking on included links. This information is necessary for providing personalised and location-based content as well as for analysing the use of resources, troubleshooting problems, preventing fraud, and improving our services. We may combine this information with information in your account to help prevent fraud.
If it is reasonable and practical do so, we will collect personal information about you only from you. In the course of operating our business, however, we may collect personal information from third parties such as your employers (for example, if you are nominated as the contact person for a job advertisement placed on the Site by another person within your organisation), our suppliers, advertisers, mailing lists, recruitment agencies, contractors, clients and business partners.
If we collect personal information about you from a third party we will, where appropriate, request that the third party inform you that we are holding such information, how we will use and disclose it, and that you may contact us to gain access to and correct and update the information.
When we collect personal information from you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you or ensure you are aware of:
- our identity and contact details;
- that we have collected your personal information, and whether that collect is required or authorised by law;
- the purposes of collection;
- the consequences if personal information is not collected (such as if this will affect our ability to provide products or services to you);
- our usual disclosures of personal information of the kind collected;
- whether we are likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, and if practicable, the relevant countries in which they are located.
How do we hold personal information?
We will hold personal information as either physical records, electronically on our intranet system, as records in cloud storage, and in some cases, records on third party servers, which may be located overseas.
We take active steps to hold all hard copy and electronic records of personal information in a secure manner to ensure that they are protected from misuse, interference and loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We have procedures in place to destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
If you establish an account with the Site and subsequently deactivate it, it will be available for you to reactivate in your discretion and we will therefore retain your personal information to enable you to do this. If you wish to close and delete your account permanently, you must contact us (please see http://www.teachers.on.net/support/contact.php for details on how to do this) and request this. We will then de-identify or destroy any personal information associated with your account that we hold in our records.
Purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
In general, the Company will collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the purposes of providing or offering goods and services to you, or engaging you to provide goods or services to us or on our behalf. One of our main purposes is to provide a job noticeboard via the Site, giving employers the opportunity to post job advertisements, and job seekers the opportunity to be informed of these, and make applications to such employers.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us using and disclosing your personal information for the following purposes:
- matching you with potentially suitable job opportunities, if you are a job seeker;
- if you are a job seeker, forwarding applications you submit through the Site to job advertisers on your behalf;
- making your details available for searching by potential employers, if you are a job seeker, and you understand that such employers may use this information to contact you about potential job opportunities;
- matching you with potentially suitable job candidates, if you are a job advertiser;
- providing you with news and information about our products and services;
- sending you emails and other marketing and promotional material that we believe you may be interested in, either from us, any of our related entities or a third party business which we consider may be of interest to you;
- personalising your experience with our products and services, for example, via connectivity with social media services; and
- for Company job applicants or tendering parties, assessing your eligibility for employment by the Company, or engagement by the Company as a contractor, and managing your relationship with us.
Where you do not wish to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with requested goods or services, or otherwise assist you in relation to the above purposes.
You may opt out of receiving marketing and promotional material from the Company at any time by contacting our Privacy Officer, using the contact details set out below.
There may be circumstances in which we are authorised or required by law to use or disclose your personal information. For instance:
- A number of laws require the provision of personal information to third parties, including the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). The precise information required to be provided will vary depending on the circumstances requiring disclosure of that information.
- We may also use or disclose personal information about you to avoid, lessen or prevent a serious emergency or crime. If we use or disclose personal information about you in those circumstances we will make a written record of such use or disclosure.
We may disclose personal information between our related bodies corporate or to third parties such as our business partners, suppliers, organisations that provide us with technical and support services, our clients or our professional advisors, where permitted by the Privacy Act.
Any disclosure that is required to be made to any third party will be made primarily for the purpose of providing or offering goods and services to you. If we disclose information to a third party, we generally require that the third party protect your information to the same extent that we do.
How can you access your personal information?
You have a right to request access to your personal information and to request its correction if it is out of date or incorrect.
You may request access or correction at any time by sending a written request to our Privacy Officer via the contact details set out below.
You do not need to provide a reason for your request for access to your personal information. We may charge a small fee for providing access to your personal information if it requires a significant amount of time to locate or collect your information or to present it in an appropriate form. We will not charge you to correct your personal information that we hold in our records.
We will respond to all requests for access to or correction of personal information within a reasonable time.
Please note there may be circumstances in which we are not able to provide you with access to your information, such as where the requested access will have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of others or where we are required by law to withhold the information. If we are unable to provide you with access to your information, or make the amendments which you have requested, we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
If you believe that we may have breached the Australian Privacy Principles, or failed to comply with this policy, you may direct your complaint to our Privacy Officer, using the contact details set out below.
We take all complaints seriously, and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner as follows:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Cross Border Disclosures of Information
The Site is available for use by job applicants and advertisers in locations outside Australia including Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, China, Malaysia, India the United States of America and Canada. The Company may therefore disclose personal information in the course of providing the Site and its functionality, and our services, to persons in these countries and other countries in which advertisers and/or job seekers are located from time to time, including at your request.
We may disclose your personal information to other entities located outside of Australia, including our data hosting and analytics service providers, located in the United States of America.
From time to time we may engage other overseas entities to provide services to us, such as cloud-based storage solutions. Please note that the use of overseas service providers to store personal information will not always involve a disclosure of personal information to that overseas provider.
By providing your personal information to us, you consent to us disclosing your personal information to any such overseas recipients for purposes necessary or useful in the course of operating our business, and agree that APP 8.1 will not apply to such disclosures. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that an overseas recipient breaches the Australian Privacy Principles, that entity will not be bound by, and you will not be able seek redress under, the Act.
If you do not want us to disclose your information to overseas recipients, please let us know.
Where practicable, we are required to provide the option for you to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym. This option will not be available where we are required or authorised by law to deal with individuals who have identified themselves, or if we need to verify your identity in order to provide products or services to you.
Our Privacy Officer can be contacted as follows:
Level 25/187 Rundle Street Adelaide SA 5000
Fax: 08 8172 0009